On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 06:15 -0400, Ken & Deb Allen wrote:
> I cannot speak for SQLITE for certain, but I know with a number of
> commercial RDBMS packages the index is not used unless it contains a
> sufficient degree of distribution.

SQLite does not do this.  It makes no effort to keep track of the
"degree of distribution" or other statistics associated with indices.
It just uses them if they are available.

This can be either a feature or a bug, depending on your point
of view.  I have had people tell me that they prefer the SQLite
way.  With other databases, they tell me, they are constantly
in a struggle trying to outwit and trick the database engine
into doing what they want.  SQLite just does what you tell it
to do, for better or for worse.
--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>