Sorry for the ambiguity - yes, I believe that's the case.  It's
certainly the case with every other database I've used, and given what I
know of SQLite I can't see any reason why it wouldn't (though I will say
that I yet haven't delved too far into how joins are processed, so I
could be completely wrong).  EXPLAINing some simple test queries
containing joins both with and without indexes on the tables show
different execution plans; I won't claim to have thoroughly dissected
the plans, but it's certainly doing something different when the indexes
are/are not present, which I think is a good sign.

   -Tom