On a system we developed several years ago (non sqlite) we noted that obtaining
locks on an NFS mounted file was VERY slow. I *think* it's trying to
establish a lock
then waiting at least the propagation delay of your network to ensure
there was no
collision with another process.

Doing anything over a network is not good for performance.