As a german citizen I'll try you explain my understanding of my countries law. The basic concept should be similar within central Europe (Austria, France, Italy, Spain ... but not Great Britain) as most countries laws evolved from the Roman law . Sorry i am not a lawyer, just a programmer concerned with this question while living from his work but also giving parts of this work back to the community.

We have two different parts. One is called 'Urheberrecht' (right of author) and the other "Entscheidungs-" and/or "Verwertungsrecht" (right to decide of usage and right to use) .

First one just handles the mental ownership of a piece of work. This can not be given to another party. In many cases this is worth nothing as is just bundles your name with your work. Very often this right is incorrectly translated as Copyright even in European countries.

Second one handles the commercial and economical aspects. Of cause this is something total different. If you get paid for your work, you sometimes loose this rights to your customer or employer immediatly. If you still have this rights by your own you are able to give/license/sell them like every material thing.

As I unterstand the american way the customer or employer get the unrestricted usage rights under almost all circumstances. Additionally the author seems to have no right to be mentioned at all.

Do not worry in casse an author tells you he gives you the right to use, to decide how to use AND(!!!) the right to modify it. You have all neccessary rights, except to remove the authors name (if it was there before!!!). Although this is just for the authors reputation/prestige even big companies have been accuessed to put back the name, to pay for unauthorized removal or stop usage immediatly. Once again note, in Germany the right to modify code does not include removing the authors name.

Now most germans seems to accept the common GPL and BSD like copyrights. But I have problems understanding many restrictions/variatons of proprietary copyrights and just do not accept and use them. In cases german citizens accepted a foreign license model ot contribute software, it would be nearly impossible to involve a German court whether for license nor for warranty aspects.

Stefan Finzel