On Jul 22, 2005, at 2:11 AM, LURKIN Denis wrote:

Hello,

I have do many tests. It appears that the results of requests
each time are received in the same order. This order is that of
creation of the table. If I have make a CREATE TABLE X (int, char,
int, char), I receive the results of my request SQL in the good order:
int, char, int, char. However I made only a "select *". I did not
specify the name of the even put columns nor a "order by". Thus I have
the impression that I will always receive the results in the order of
creation of the table when I make a "select *".

Can I in being sure? If it is possible, I would like several
opinions on the question.

why don't you try it? You are in the best position to answer this by just carrying out a few tests.

However, as was pointed out in an earlier reply, the only way to be really sure is to NOT do a "SELECT * FROM table" but instead use named columns as in "SELECT a, b FROM table"

By the way, ORDER BY has nothing to do with the order of the columns. It is not quite clear what you are trying to achieve -- a specific order of columns or a specific order of the results in the columns. Either way, specify what you want and ye shall receive that. Named columns will insure the former and ORDER BY will insure the latter.

--
Puneet Kishor