On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 09:08 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> At 03:21 27/07/2005, Mrs. Brisby wrote:
> >On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 09:48 -0500, Jay Sprenkle wrote:
> > > The theory has been proposed that threads aren't better than separate
> > > processes, or application implemented context switching. Does anyone
> > > have an experiment that will prove the point either way? It will have
> > > to be OS specific though, since I'm sure not all thread
> > > implementations are equal.
>
> This page might be interesting.. http://john.redmood.com/osfastest.html

My PII-350 easily handles 2 million local deliveries per hour, and it
fork()s for each one.

As has been mentioned: If you think threads are going to make your
program fast, you don't know what you're doing.

Unit testing and a profiler will give much greater performance gains
than trying to emulate piece of shit applications like MailEngine.