* Richard Hipp:

> (1) You should be able to drop in SQLite 3.15.0 (or any other release
> after 3.8.2) in place of SQLite 3.8.2 and everything will continue
> working just fine.  The only changes will be that the applications
> will run a little faster.  We carefully test backwards compatibility.

I did this once, admittedly on CentOS, but there SQLite is used in
more places by the operating system itself.  I did not encounter any
problems.  I didn't lobby Red Hat to upgrade the system library
version because it was just a temporary situation for me.

I don't know how open Canonical would be to upgrading SQLite in an LTS
release, based on customer demand.  Maybe it's worth a try?

> (1a)  Sometimes an application will do a SELECT without an ORDER BY
> when the application really does need the data in a specific order.
> This error is not noticed because SQLite happens to return the rows in
> the desired order, just by chance.  Upgrading to a newer version of
> SQLite might change the output order.  This is about the only
> compatibility issues you can expect when upgrading SQLite.  Notice
> that this is a bug in the application, not a bug in SQLite.

Query planner changes can also have negative performance impact.

> (2) SQLite works fine with static linking.

It can break POSIX locking if one process accesses the same database
with two different SQLite code copies.