On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On 11/8/16, John G <rjkgilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I normally use the 3.8.8.3 supplied with MacOS El Capitan.
> > I downloaded version 3.15.1 from the Download page - precompiled
> > command-line tools : (sqlite-tools-osx-x86-3150100.zip).
> >
> > When I tried copying and pasting multiple or multi-line statements from
> my
> > editor (jEdit) the command-line shell ignored everything after the first
> > line. This is not the case with 3.8.8.3.
> >

> This appears to be a bug in the "linenoise" library that we link
> against when building the precompiled shell - it has nothing to do
> with SQLite.  See the https://github.com/antirez/linenoise/issues/75
> bug report.  We first started linking precompiled SQLite binaries
> against linenoise with 3.8.9 (2015-04-08) and you are the first person
> to notice the difference.
>
> We'll see if we can't update the linenoise implementations on our
> build machines and upload new binaries for 3.15.1
>
> In the meantime, you can always build SQLite yourself from sources.
> On a mac, just type "./configure; make" (after installing Xcode, which
> is free on the apple store).

FWIW, I'm using linenoise-ng in my own command line app (see below),
wrote a couple commands in VS, each on its own line, and pasted them to
my linenoise-ng based app running on Linux in a Putty window, and
both lines where pasted (and executed) OK.

Unlike the original, the -ng variant works OK on Windows,
but is C++11 based. But it doesn't seem to be bug free either,
got a crash using its linenoiseHistorySetMaxLen().

Supports prompt coloring using ANSI escape codes too,
which work in both the DOS prompt, Putty, and RedHat terminal.

Since I consider this a bit "experimental", I have an SQLite-inspired
.linenoise on/off "dot" command, to switch to/from basic cout/getstring :)

// From https://github.com/arangodb/linenoise-ng
// Commit df1cfb41e3de9d2e716016d0571338ceed62290f