> So, in some cases (explicite addition), NULL + 0 = NULL. (we all know
> that NULL != NULL). However, the "sum" function skips NULLs. This
> seems inconsistant.

NULL + 0 is not valid since you can't do a binary operation on only one
number (zero is
a number, NULL is not). So it returns an appropriate result when you ask it
to do something
it can't do.

I understand the rational for "NULL + anything" returning NULL (makes
> sense mathematically). I understand the utility of having "sum" skip
> NULLs. However, we can now construct a math in the sql engine where
> a+b+c != a+b+c. Yucky.

Only where one of the variables is different than the other side of the
equation.

---
The Castles of Dereth Calendar: a tour of the art and architecture of
Asheron's Call
http://www.lulu.com/content/77264