> On Feb 6, 2017, at 11:08 AM, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:
>
> It's fascinating, and emblematic of our times, that
> something like iTunes had (or has) DBMS interaction amidst low-level
> operations like capture and playback.

Oh, it didn’t use a database! It was just streaming audio data from the
filesystem. (And Final Cut was just streaming video frames to the filesystem.)

My point is that the disk-controller flush invoked by SQLite’s commit caused
the entire filesystem to become unavailable for tens-to-hundreds of
milliseconds at a time, and when I started doing that multiple times a second,
it would sometimes starve iTunes’ audio threads of data, causing dropouts.

—Jens