The sqlite_master table will always preserve any comments embedded between
the "CREATE" and ";" keywords for a given table definition. Is this not
sufficient?

You can parse the sql for a table's record to retrieve comments, in
whichever format you're using. I know that SQLite supports both single line
("-- ..") and multi-line ("/* .. */") forms of comments, so your parsing
might need to handle either/both according to your style book.

Regards.

Brian P Curley