I see that you've got a solution working, but I wanted to mention this
project which is a JDBC driver that can work with a dynamically linked
sqlite library so there shouldn't be anything to recompile:

  https://github.com/tstack/SqliteJdbcNG

Unfortunately, it hasn't seen updates for a couple years, but I think
it still works.

thanks,

tim stack