On May 3, 2017 8:07 AM, "Tony Papadimitriou" <to...@acm.org> wrote:

While trying to search/replace some text from an SQLite3 dump I noticed
that, unfortunately, .DUMP does not produce the exact same numbers as a
plain SELECT on the same values.

I know all about expected floating point inaccuracies, but I don’t see why
it should matter in this case as we have two different places in the same
app (SQLite3) where the same number is ‘displayed’ using whatever default
format.  IMO, in both places the same number should display exactly the
same (i.e., using the same format), both for consistency and easy
verification between dump and actual database.

The select version is output for human readability. The dump version is
output for precision so that every digit goes back into the recreated
database exactly as it came out.