On 3 May 2017, at 3:40pm, Scott Robison <sc...@casaderobison.com> wrote:

> On May 3, 2017 8:07 AM, "Tony Papadimitriou" <to...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> While trying to search/replace some text from an SQLite3 dump I noticed
>> that, unfortunately, .DUMP does not produce the exact same numbers as a
>> plain SELECT on the same values.
>
> I know all about expected floating point inaccuracies, but I don’t see why
> it should matter in this case as we have two different places in the same
> app (SQLite3) where the same number is ‘displayed’ using whatever default
> format.  IMO, in both places the same number should display exactly the
> same (i.e., using the same format), both for consistency and easy
> verification between dump and actual database.

That’s a matter of preference.  There is one possible bug here.  If the results
of reading the dump file back in produces a different value to the original
INSERT, that’s a problem.  So I tried it:

SQLite version 3.16.0 2016-11-04 19:09:39
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> create table xxx(x);
sqlite> insert into xxx values(1.23);
sqlite> select * from xxx;
1.23
sqlite> .dump
PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE xxx(x);
INSERT INTO "xxx" VALUES(1.23);
COMMIT;

Hmm.  Cannot reproduce your problem in my version of the command-line tool.
You’re using 3.18.0.  I’m using 3.16.0.  Perhaps its a recent change.  Or
perhaps there’s a difference in a library between my platform (macOS) and yours.

Simon.