Thanks for all the assistance guys, its working within reasonable limits on the
hardware given.

The unique constraint on a distinguished name is more about data integrity.
I am associating data against that value and it doesn't make sense to have more
than one. So if an "add" comes along unexpectedly (instead of an "update"), the
best way to know something is awry is for everything to turn pear shaped.

Kinda makes it hard for bugs to go unnoticed:)

Much appreciated everyone,
jlc