Ok, after using the session extension and doing some tests, we face one problem
I would like to get some feedback from the experts, how to best solve this.

Context: User's can import CSV data into our application. We use a bunch of
fixed tables and one for the user data. Of course the layout (number of
columns) of this table depends on the user data structure. Users are allowed to
add & remove columns. Removing is implemented by just flagging a column as "not
there", so no schema change. But adding a column of course needs an ALTER TABLE
operation. Hence, the user table only gets bigger.

Problem: As soon as the schema changes, we can't apply recorded changesets
anymore.

An option would be to keep the user data in a column/value format and somehow
create a view from it that looks like a normal DB table. Not sure if this is
possible, how fast this is and if it makes sense at all.

Next option, somehow keep track of schema changes and revert them manually
before a changeset is applied. Has anyone done this?

The next option would be to take a look at the session extension and see if a
more relaxed use of changesets is possible. Here I think as long as all columns
are there a change can be applied. For additional columns the values would just
be deleted. Or even better add reversing of ALTER TABLE commands to the
changeset handler.

Viele Grüsse.

--

Robert M. Münch, CEO