> On Jun 19, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
>> You can create indexes to support JSON1 queries by using the same json_xx
>> function calls in a CREATE INDEX statement.
>
> That’s a great idea.  I don’t know if it works, though.

It does, and I believe it was the primary use case driving the extension of
CREATE INDEX to take an expression as well as a column name.

This makes querying JSON workable in practice, and it can be used for other
purposes too. For example, you could register a function that extracts image
metadata from EXIF tags, and then be able to efficiently index and query that
metadata on JPEG images stored in blob columns.

—Jens