On 06/07/2017 15:03, Keith Medcalf wrote:

Do you know of any implementation of SQL that accepts an AS clause for the
updated table?  I don't think any do.

No Keith, I don't. My only exposure to SQL is sqlite.

Some versions have a FROM extension and you CAN specify an alias for the updated table in that clause, however,
as far as I know the update table cannot be aliased and the "set <column> = ..." the
<column> must always be a column in the updated table and while you may be allowed to "adorn"
it in some implementations, any adornments are ignored (or trigger an error message if they are not the same as
the updated table).

--
Regards
   John McMahon