OK Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I know that sqlite3_get_table() allocates
the memory for me, but thanks for the heads up any way!

I think the possibility of checking the number of rows will be sufficient
for my purposes...

If I don't check is there not a possibility of there not being enough memory
to fit the returned data? I guess Sqlite checks for this when doing the
malloc? Is there a specific error returned when this is the case (i.e. it
runs out of memory)? It's hardly likely to happen but I need to handle the
case none the less...

Thanks again,
Richard.

> I was wondering if there was a way to find the size of data that will be
> returned before actually making the call to sqlite3_get_table which will
> return a pointer to a malloc'd memory location. My question is really: can
> find the required memory size before the call?

The short answer is no, not without executing a "SELECT count() ..."
statement to figure out how many rows will be returned by your statement.

Sanity check: You know that sqlite3_get_table() allocates the memory
for you, right (which you then free later using sqlite3_free_table())? You
don't have to supply your own malloc'd blob.