I have been using the xbase language (dbase, foxpro, etc.) for about 36 years, writing applicatios for my alarm company, so each database is a separate file for me. For the last 21 years, I have been using Linux, and have found that sqlite is my best match for Linux database use.

What I fail to understand is how I set up my files/databases. I have categories that I write for: accounting, dispatching, service, billing, etc. Some (most) of these use customer data, so when I am writing code for the billing program, and I want to reference the customers, is that a separate file, so I only have 1 customer file to update (the relational model)? Having a customer table, with indices, in each category's database (file) breaks the relational model. I have been on this list for about a year and see no reference to this issue. I am reading now about sqlite in _The Definitive Guide to SQLite_ by Michael Owens, but I'm early in the book.

Help?

John