I have an sqlite3 database I use for a web app that I am mostly the sole user
of.

It has been working fine for years, but all of a sudden today, I find that
the app cannot insert and delete items from the database when it needs to.

This is an app with a single thread, and for each command the web client
sends to the server written in python, the server opens a new database
connection/cursor (using module sqlite3) does the queries required, commits,
and closes the connection.

That has always worked.

But today, I found that a sequence of actions done in one function with one
database connection/cursor will not work because the later ones do not see
the changes of the earlier ones.   Is my understanding correct that as long
as it is the same connection/cursor, these changes should be seen?  And, if
not, how is it that it worked in the past?  And, in either case, what could
have happened all of a sudden for it to stop working?

For the time being, I am changing now to commit after every query that makes
any change to the database and things work.   But I don't want to do that if
it is not necessary.