On Tue 26 Dec 2017  3:08 PM, Damien Sykes wrote:
> Hi,
> This is a question I have asked myself many times (I.E. Git projects moving
> to Fossil).
> GitHub is well known and boasts over 74 million repositories, yet Fossil,
> which both hosts and utilises one of the most well-known database systems in
> the world, I doubt can count a thousand. Even the ChiselApp hosting platform
> hosts a mere 360 public repositories, Hydra hosts 11, WanderingHorse hosts
> 23, outside of which lie Fossil itself, the Fossil book, SQLite and friends
> (5 publicly accessible repositories in all), and TCL and friends (7
> repositories), making a total of 408. Add SQLite private repositories, and
> private repositories that I host, have access to or otherwise generally know
> exist, and I come up with an estimate of roughly 470 repositories. Of course
> this is not an accurate statistic since it may exclude more private
> repositories, and definitely excludes any local repositories (I for one have
> about a dozen Git repositories as Fossil repositories).

I understand that github's numbers are larger, but is that figure
including unique repos and forks, because of pull requests? For instance,
we already know of at least two sqlite repos on github from this mailing
list.

Some repos are junk and so are the user accounts. I.e. accounts made by
bots for whatever reasons. Some contain very little data. Some are from
very large companies, i.e. google/facebook/netflix/microsoft.

It's kinda funny that git is a decentralized repo but github is quite
centralized.

> While I am making every attempt to try to persuade friends towards Fossil,
> they are also choosing Git. Looks to me like the only people who seem to use
> Fossil are those who are most associated with it, which is a real shame.

Yes, that's quite a good point, but I don't know how to turn that corner
and have it more mainstream.

> The only advantage I can see with GitHub is that it's the source code
> Twitter equivalent. Everybody's repository is in one place. As long as you
> know the username and repository name you know the full repository URL, and
> you don't have to worry about server administration.

I'm not so concerned about the server admin aspect of fossil, but I do
understand if your twitter handle matches your github repo name, it can
make things easier, but this also goes to my statement above - it's
ironic that github is very large and for distributed.