R Smith-2 wrote
> The query above is perfectly defined. In fact, it works in PostgreSQL.
> PostgreSQL's manual also has a very nice explanation of how recursive
> queries are evaluated.

The way PostgreSQL handles recursive queries was one of my motivations to
post about this.
PostgreSQL allows for recursive references inside subqueries like the one I
posted.

R Smith-2 wrote
>> That said, the query above can be simplified as follows:
>>
>>   with recursive count_down(v) as (
>>     select 5
>>     union all
>>     select n - 1 from count_down where n > 0
>>   )
>>   select * from count_down;
>>
>> which is what the OP has likely done.
>
> I think the OP tried something a bit more complex, and then tried to
> reduce it to a simple example to post here, perhaps deceptively simple.
> However, it's still possible that his actual complex query might be
> refined into such a simpler form.

You're right, the queries I have in mind are complex. And readability would
greatly improve
with a feature like recursive references inside subqueries.
Recursive queries are often difficult to read anyway, so having a feature
which improves
readability is a *big* plus in my book.

But: My questions have more of a technical background than a practical one.
I'm trying to figure out *why* SQLite decided to forbid a recursive
reference be placed inside a subquery.
Is there a technical reason? Or did the developer explicitly decide against
recursive references inside subqueries because of the SQL standard?

And of course: are there plans to allow for recursive references inside
subqueries?

Best regards,
Christian Duta