@Dominique Devienne
> SQLite supports function-based indexes, but unfortunately if does not support
"function-based columns".

Far fetched maybe, but could a virtual table or table-valued functions be
used to provide that?

ie. use the virtual table to pass data directly to an index, and then
expose the data stored in the index as a column.
(I am not accomplished enough about sqlite indexes to know how far fetched
the above would be)

@Rowan Worth
> What if you could create a "lite" index, which stores just the rowids in
a particular order and
> refers back to the table for the rest of the column data?

As I have millions of rows, and data could get inserted anywhere in that
index (given the values are
essentially random), maintaining such an index would not be light work.

@Simon Slavin
> A later post from OP suggests that the critical point here really is
filespace, not search time,

Yes, this is because in the rest of the schema I am always using the key
(integer), so the value -> key
lookup only happens in API parameters, never in joins or other internal
processing.

The key -> value lookups need to be faster as they happen in SQL outputs,
but at worst each query
will be doing thousandths of those. So a little loss of performance there
could be acceptable there as well.

Eric