On Saturday, 15 December, 2018 10:54, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>On 15 Dec 2018, at 5:35pm, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

>> Fast forward 25 years and you would these days be hard pressed to
>find a computer that DOES NOT use proper IEEE-754 floating point and
>that DOES NOT default to a minimum of double precision representation
>and that DOES NOT use extended precision internally to ensure that
>the 1 ULP guarantee is ensured. However, the memory of the
>proletariat is long:  Even though the original issue leading to the
>quaint "do not use floating point for money" aphorism no longer
>exists the problem of knowing "why this was so" still exists.  And
>the propensity to apply intermediate rounding still exists.

>And yet ... here we are.  The post which started this thread summed
>currency amounts and reached a total of 211496.25999999992 .

>Yes, you can say 'that would have been rounded before it was
>printed'.  But then you're into the old questions: do you round at
>every step, or only at the end ?  Do you round or truncate ?  Where
>does the fraction go ?  etc. etc..

You apply half-even rounding (not elementary school 4/5 rounding) only for
display (output) and never round intermediates.  The "fraction" does not exist
... Though if you do 4/5 rounding rather than half-even rounding the
accumulated errors will amount to quite a sum.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.