On 2018-12-17 9:16 AM, James K. Lowden wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:24:18 -0800
Darren Duncan wrote:
If yours is a financial application then you should be using exact
numeric types only

Color me skeptical.  That very much depends on the application.  IEEE
double-precision floating point is accurate to within 15 decimal
digits.  The example given,

211496.26

gives, safely, a margin of 6 order of magnitude.  If the application is
taking sums of 100's of thousands of dollars, it will stay accurate to
within a penny using floating point until there are millions of
entries:

        10^15 รท 10^8 = 10^7

I doubt the financial application exists that sums milliions of entries
AND cares about the last penny.

In modern days, getting to millions of financial transaction entries in a short time is common, and we still care about the last penny, I know from experience. -- Darren Duncan