Part of what the FTS extension does is maintaining an inverted index.

Is it possible to use this inverted-index functionality without the rest of
FTS? I imagine it would involve modifications to the FTS5 code, but could those
be minor or would it require extensive hacking? Or alternatively, is there a
SQLite extension available that purely manages an inverted index?

I know one can sort-of do this by writing a custom tokenizer to feed “words”
into FTS; but I don’t think that will work here because (a) the keys aren’t
necessarily textual, (b) we need to associate metadata that isn’t a byte offset
in a string, and (c) querying FTS via the MATCH operator is extremely limited,
e.g. it has to be at the top level of the WHERE clause.

—Jens