> On Jan 28, 2019, at 3:35 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> On the other
> hand, if you set SQLITE_TEMP_STORE=2 so that intermediate results are
> held in memory, then intermediate results may be written to swap space
> when the device gets under memory pressure.

Mobile OSs don’t swap. (iOS for certain; I don’t have confirmation of this for
Android, but our local Android dev believes it’s so.)

On the plus side, this means no traces of heap memory in the swap file. On the
downside, the OS is really aggressive about killing app processes that consume
too much RAM, so developers learn to be careful about heap usage. If SQLite is
using memory for temp storage, then it sounds like  a complex enough query will
crash an app.

—Jens