Thanks for the idea but the interface already handles that and does it
without special names. The last example in my last post shows that
d was correctly typed in the output because the interface noticed that
it had the same name as an input column.  Other problems are that it
would still not handle propagation through expressions and would require
that the user use special names different than the names in the
input.

I appreciate these ideas but these or equally effective alternatives are
already implemented and it is precisely these kludges that I was
trying to avoid.  With one R statement the user can switch back ends
so unless sqlite works as smoothly as the alternative backends
a user will choose one of those if they are doing a lot of date and
datetime processing.

For many applications the other advantages
of sqlite would take precedence.
The fact that sqlirte is included right in
the R driver package is very convenient as it means there is nothing
additional to install
beyond the R driver.  (H2 is also included in the R driver but in that
case java needs to be installed.) Also the new windowing functions, CTEs
and other features are great.
Unfortunately in the widely applicable case of dates and date times
the other databases just work and additional care needs to be taken
with sqlite.