On 31 Oct 2019, at 4:29pm, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> If the elapsed time is much greater than the sum of user+sys time then I
> would suspect it is still I/O thrashing (or the machine is really busy doing
> something else -- those original timings represent only a 57% process
> dispatch rate, which is pretty low).

I'm betting it's a rotating hard disk with a slow spin speed, and most of the
time is spent waiting for the disk to be in the right place.

As Dominique Devienne spotted, there is now some doubt about the comparative
figure.  Was the MariaDB filespace hosted on this same hard disk ?

The original post had

> The largest table contains about 230'000 entries.

Five tables and eleven indexes.  Sixteen pages and sixteen page indexes.  Even
if you think that all the required indexes for FOREIGN KEY lookup are now
available, I think that 88 minutes is still longer than SQLite should take for
anything but a slow disk.