Since I don't see many posts yet this weekend, please excuse one of mine which
isn't exactly on charter.  Feel free to argue me out of posting in personal
(offlist) email.

In a previous job I got to see databases made up by all sorts of other people
and organisations.  Every time I saw a field called 'firstname' or 'second
name' or 'surname' or 'familyname' I groaned.  So I was nodding along as I read
this:

<https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/>

I think this one is unusually well-written.

In case you want to know how best to handle personal names, the current
consensus seems to be to use a single field containing the whole name, which
can be searched by substring.  Computer systems for places with non-Roman
character sets sometimes use two fields: name in local characters (Chinese,
Devanagari, etc.) and name in Roman characters.

Also note that current privacy legislation in the US and EU means you are not
allowed to ask for anything like 'full legal name' unless you cannot run your
business without it.  Ask them for their name, and store what they tell you,
with the words in the order they gave them.  If you need to sort people in name
order (think very hard about why, first), create a field called 'sort order'
and populate it yourself.  Sorting is your problem, not that of the people
you're sorting.

Part of a continuing series including falsehoods about dates, times, places,
street addresses, gender, relations, phone numbers, taxes, and amounts of money.

Good luck, and watch your back.