Jens Alfke, on Monday, November 11, 2019 01:00 PM, wrote...

> > On Nov 11, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Jose Isaias Cabrera, on
> >
> > However, space is cheap now
>
> It isn't. A sizable fraction of all software development is done for devices
> with
> under a megabyte of RAM. (IoT and embedded are huge markets.)  And remember,
> we're
> talking on the email forum for a library that's heavily used on that scale of
> hardware.
>
> And even on bigger systems, L1 and L2 caches are small: Intel's i7 Haswell
> CPUs
> have 32KB and 512KB per core, respectively. Remember, "overflowing cache" is
> the
> new "VM thrash" — RAM is absurdly slow compared to CPU speeds.

You're right.  I was thinking more of a hard drive space.  I remember when I
bought a 120M hard drive for $700 to put on my amiga 1000 back in 1984.  How I
was all excited when I loaded the AmigaOS on my 512KB memory/120M hard drive
and how fast it loaded vs the floppy disks.  Now I can get a 1T for $89 for a
laptop.

josé