On 13 Nov 2019, at 8:25am, Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   - How do I create an email greeting
>   - How do I create an address label
>   - How should I sort a list of names
>   - How should I show a logged in user
>   - How do you let the user fill in their name

Wout is asking these question rhetorically and not because he wants answers.
And I like his proposed solutions.  But they're interesting questions so I'm
approaching them anyway.

The author of _M*A*S*H_, the book the TV series was based on, is printed on the
book's spine as 'Richard Hooker'.

How would you greet him if you have "Richard" isolated ?  Does he use
"Richard", "Rich", "Dick", "Bud", or "Trip" ?  Maybe he's formal like me and
doesn't like being firstnamed by anyone he doesn't know personally.  If a
salesperson calls me "Simon" without being invited to, I tell them their error
and walk away.  If I get sales mail or email from someone I don't know with
"Dear Simon" it gets binned.

How would you create an address label if you have "Richard" isolated ?  Does he
have a teenage kid called "Richard" who lives in the same house ?  Does
everyone call him "Buzz" because his father is also called "Richard" ?

Why, in this day and age, are you sorting names ?  What activity of your
organisation does sorting them aid ?  We have computers now.  They can search
by substring.  We don't need humans to run their finger down long lists.  Also,
for privacy reasons, you shouldn't be showing details of all customers to an
employee who only needs to access details of one customer.

How would having a name split up into fields improve your ability to show that
name in full ?  Who are you showing their name to, and why do they need to know
?

How else would you ask a user their name other than presenting a field 'name'
and asking them to fill it in ?  And why ?

Special bonus: that author's name on the copyright page is 'Richard E.
Hornberger'.  Do you instantly think you should be storing that one instead ?
Why ?  He doesn't like it and doesn't use it in anything but legal documents.
What makes you think you should be using a name he himself doesn't use ?