This may have been asked many times before but always seems to be a
valid question.  On some machines with different compilers I get good
results using C99 strict compliance. On other machines, such as those
running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I get terrible results.

Also I am using a variety of LLVM/Clang and also GCC 8.x and 9.x as
well as Oracle Studio 12.6 and also a few tests with less obvious
compilers.  This would be on 32-bit i386 and 32-bit armv7 and 64-bit
ppc64 and Fujitsu sparcv9 and AMD Opteron and Intel x86_64 various
types.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC