On 24/11/2019 10:35, Simon Slavin wrote:
On 23 Nov 2019, at 11:06pm, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

given the choice between

(1) Code that works and does something useful
(2) Code that is standards compliant

I'll always go with (1).

Another problem is that different compilers, or the same compiler with
different options, warn about different things.  And that making changes to
make one compiler happy can make another compiler unhappy.  Until you end up
with

     complicated line here;     /* actually does a = b but
                                must keep four compilers happy */

Things like this remind me of Donald Knuth's line: "Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."

And over the decades[1] of writing (portable) C code I have sprinkled many such comments on how, "doing this makes it work on such-and-such a system" in many, many files. :-)

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

1 - I was taught C by kre back in 1982 (or was it 1983?), on a VAX called "munnari," for those who remember their history :->