Jens Alfke
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:32 AM
To: SQLite mailing list <sqlite-users@mailinglists.sqlite.org>
Cc: Rowan Worth <row...@dug.com>
Subject: Re: [sqlite] New word to replace "serverless"

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 3:18 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> Things like MySQL-embedded and H2 run a "server" as a thread instead
> of as a separate process.  ...  So this is really the same thing as a
> server using IPC except that the server runs in the same address space
> as the client.

I see that as a mere implementation detail, since it doesn't affect the way the
developer configures or uses the system. Running an engine on a background
thread(s) is an increasingly common technique as CPUs become more concurrent,
especially in mobile apps where it's forbidden to 'jank' up the GUI by blocking
the main thread.

For example, on iOS and macOS the HTTP client library (NSURLSession) and the 2d
graphics compositing engine (CoreAnimation) do all their heavy lifting on
background threads, but I wouldn't think of calling either of them server-based.

—Jens