John Stanton wrote:
I was describing a free union used to transform big endian to little endian and vice versa. There is no encoding involved.

Are you sure?!? :) heh, please, read my post carefully. The part about encoding was not related to unions at all, it was related to this part: "...If it were to be stored as TEXT the transformation could be more involved and more expensive by using BASE64 or ASCII hex format. The added cost would be insignificant compared to the prospect of doing a radix transformation into ASCII decimal and embedding that in XML..."

My alternatives, BASE64 and ASCII HEX are encodings of the binary integers.

You let the buzzwords drown out the fundamentals.

I was talking about serialization because it answers how to put a vector of structures into an sqlite table. And that's the OP's original question...