On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:31:50AM +0100, Nemanja Corlija wrote:
> > Did you happen to do an analyze?
> Nope. All databases are run as default as possible. And, they all get
> same scripts to execute.

Which means PostgreSQL can only take a wild stab at what's in the
database.

> > > None.
> >
> > Well, that certainly won't help things... at a minimum, on your machine,
> > you should change the following:
> > shared_buffers=10000
> > effective_cache_size=100000
> >
> > The following should also help:
> > work_mem=10000
> > vacuum_cost_delay=50
> > autovacuum=on
> > autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor=0.2
> Sure, I could do that. But then I'd also need to tune all other
> databases to make things fair and that's not really what I intended to
> do here. I want to keep things as "out of the box" as possible.

Then you should just drop PostgreSQL from the tests, because they're not
doing anyone any good. It's pretty well known that the default
postgresql.conf is meant to allow for bringing the database up on a
machine with very minimal hardware. It's the equivalent to using MySQL's
minimum configuration file.

It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable to tweak a handful of parameters
for each database. I wouldn't even consider this to be tuning;
everything I recommended is a fairly standard set of adjustments.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]