On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:54:22AM -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Hrm, that's rather odd. What does top show when it's running through
> psql? Are the test scripts available for download? I'll try this on my
> machine as well...

I see theh tcl now... is TCL piping into psql, or are there a set of raw
files you could post or send me? If you're piping from TCL, I'd be
curious to see what the difference is if you run this manually. For
these large data sets I also think it's not very reflective of the
database to send the result set all the way back through the client,
since that's not very representative of the real world. In the case of
PostgreSQL, a good alternative would be

SELECT count(*) FROM (
        SELECT t1.a  FROM ...
    ) a
;

But I'm not sure if all the other databases support that.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]