[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am currently investigating porting my project from postgres to SQLite due to anticipated performance issues (we will have to start handling lots more data). My initial speed testing of handling the expanded amount data has suggested that the postgres performance will
 be unacceptable.  I'm convinced that SQLite will solve my
performance issues, however, the speed comparison data found on the
SQLite site (http://www.sqlite.org/speed.html) is old.  This is the
type of data I need, but I'd like to have more recent data to present
to my manager, if it is available.  Can anybody point me anywhere
that may have similar but more recent data?

Thanks in advance!

Jason Alburger HID/NAS/LAN Engineer L3/ATO-E En Route Peripheral Systems Support 609-485-7225

Actually I have quite the opposite experience :)

We started with using sqlite3, but the database has grown now to
something like 1GB and has millions of rows. It does not perform as fast
as we would like, so we looked for alternatives. We tried to convert
it to both mysql and postgresql and tried to run the same query we are
using quite often (the query is rather big and contains a lot of
conditions, but it extracts only about a hundred matching rows). The
result was a bit surprising. Mysql just locked down and could not
provide any results. After killing it, increasing memory limits in its
configuration to use all the available memory, it managed to complete
the query but was still slower than sqlite3 (lost about 30%). Postgresql
on the other hand was a really nice surprise and it was several times
faster than sqlite3! Now we are converting to postgresql :)

I'm in no way a database expert, but the tests on the benchmarking page
seem a bit trivial and looks like they only test database API (data
fetching throughoutput), but not the engine performance. I would like to
see some benchmarks involving really huge databases and complicated
queries and wonder if the results will be similar to those I have
observed...