In light of your answer, I wonder if it is possible to implement such
optimizer that does the hand-optimizing automatically, but of course BEFORE
they are actually being used by SQLite.

So the idea is not to make SQLite optimizer better, but to create a kind of
SQL optimizer that gets as input SQL statements and gives as output
optimized (specifically for SQLite) SQL statements.

Ran