An INSERT can change the results of your SELECT, so the database has to be
locked during INSERT.  Otherwise, the result of your SELECT would depend on
whether the INSERT had finished yet.  (The INSERT might even have only
partly finished, which would mean the SELECT was looking at a database in an
inconsistent state.)  It's not good to have unpredictable results like
that.

For more explanation of why what you want isn't a good idea, see any
discussion of an "ACID" database, for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID .

- Pam