The type can vary according to the data. The "declared type" is what you declare it to be and the type returned when you get a row is the type which Sqlite decided it should be based on its format.

You can make the declared type anything you want it to be, for example "WIDGET" and when you get a row returning a type "FLOAT" you can decide what you do with a FLOAT when it is in your class WIDGET. For more detail look up the Sqlite documentation on manifest typing.
JS

sqlite wrote:
I want to know the type of a column, ie.:

INTEGER, TEXT, REAL or BLOB

There seems to be no function to do this.

I can get the "declared type" of a column but
that's not easy to decipher as SQL has a zillion
data types.

I tried "sqlite3_column_type()" but that function
only works when there's a valid row (and when there's
a valid row it fails when a column is empty!)

Is there any way to get the column type?