We're C++ programmers and C++ is all about data types.
It's a statically typed language.

The types point still baffles me.  If your code already
knows which column it is dealing with then surely the
code should know what type to expect.  (Eg if you are
dealing with a column named 'title' then you would
expect a string)

The C api will also do conversion (eg if you ask for float and the value was int then it will be converted). Do people using your code go around randomly changing the database
schema and the values stored without changing the
corresponding C code?

In the case when you don't know which column you are
dealing with (eg you are generically handling columns)
then why wouldn't you use generic code.  For example
if you are producing CSV output then the type of the
columns doesn't matter, just the type of each data
item.

Roger