The current API is complete regarding types. It returns both the declared type and the type actually stored. There is nothing else.

Note that the actual storage type can vary between rows according to the data format, which is why the actual type is returned row by row.
JS

sqlite wrote:
Joe Wilson wrote:

I also agree with Ralf's proposal for sqlite3_column_affinity().
(Not that a vote on this topic will likely make a difference. ;-)

I don't think you need a new function, just make
the existing one do the obvious thing right after
you call "prepare".

--- Ralf Junker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I second this.

I think real problem is that you have a function
called "column_type" which doesn't actually return
the type of a column. This is counter-intutive.

A more telling name for sqlite3_column_type would probably be sqlite3_cell_type.

If you could make it return the column "affinity"
between the call to prepare() and the first call
to step() then the problem would probably go away.

Yes, some function like sqlite3_column_affinity would indeed be nice to have. Just for the sake of the wrapper writers which try to link sqlite3 to database concepts which required fixed
datatypes. It should be available right aftercalling sqlite3_prepare.

Just another 2 cent ...

Ralf