> but seriously, it's a black box that you don't need to pry open to use Sqlite.

Something of course, was driving me in posting the question -
it was programmers laziness, as usual :-)
In this case, it was the databases filename, available from one of the
mentioned structures. There are other ways to hold them, but perhaps it
is is also a candidate for the public interface.

Since you pass that in to begin with, why do you need the database
to provide information you already have?

It's been interesting reading the mailing list. There are all kinds of unique
and interesting projects being done with sqlite. You just never know if
someone is doing something really dfferent with it. I wasn't sure if your
application was one of those.