"Jay Sprenkle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/5/06, Mikey C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > What platform are you using?
> >
> > If you are using NTFS filesystem you can just mark the file for compression
> > and the OS takes care of it transparently.
>
> The linux OS supports Reiser file systems. This will compress
> on the fly with the compression being faster than the transfer to disk.
> Thus it's actually faster than a non compressing file system.

I'm guessing that the random I/O behavior of SQLite will
frustrate the compression implemented by NTFS and Reiser.
The end result will be a database file that might actually
take up more space than if it were uncompressed.

I'd be interested in hearing about experiments to prove
or disprove this conjecture.
--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>