To compile the binary with VC71, I had to

1. move a dozen variable declarations to the top of the function
2. download the DB.h file separately from the build tree
3. change the jstrlen to end with "return (int)(s - str) - suppChars"
4. change my sqlite3 lib build to #define SQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA
5. reference the sqlite3 lib in a dll project containing the DB.c/h