SQLite accepts the above and does the right thing with it.
It is the equivalent of saying:

   SELECT a FROM (SELECT a,b FROM qqq GROUP BY b);

The subquery here doesn't make any sense to me. How a single 'a' is
chosen for the grouped by 'b' sets? I believe it's in SQL standard
that only columns listed in the "group by" clause or aggregation
expressions must be used. Basically, every expression in the column
list must be uniquelly determined for a set of grouped rows.

All other databases I know will complain if you give them this query.

--
Alexei Alexandrov