From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2006 5:17:37 AM
Subject: [sqlite] Q about new SQLite API

I'm working on a new API routine for SQLite and I have
questions for the community.

The working name of the new api is sqlite3_prepare_v2().
sqlite3_prepare_v2() works like sqlite3_prepare() in that
it generates a prepared statement in an sqlite3_stmt
structure.  The differences is in the behavior of the
resulting sqlite3_stmt and in particular a difference in
the way sqlite3_step() responds to the sqlite3_stmt.  The
differences are these:

  * You never get an SQLITE_SCHEMA error.  sqlite3_prepare_v2
    retains the original SQL and automatically reprepares and
    rebinds it following a schema change.

  * sqlite3_step() returns the correct error code right
    away, rather than just returning SQLITE_ERROR and making
    you call sqlite3_reset() to find the true reason for the
    error.

In this way, I am hoping that sqlite3_prepare_v2() will work
around two of the most visible warts in the current API.

QUESTION 1: sqlite3_prepare_v2 is the merely the working name
for the new function.  What should the official name be?
Some possibilities include:

    sqlite3_prepare_ex1
    sqlite3_prepare_ng
    sqlite3_new_prepare
    sqlite3_compile

QUESTION 2: Are there any other API warts that need to be
worked around that can be fixed by this same change?

QUESTION 3: Suppose there is a schema change and the SQL
statement is automatically reprepared. But the schema change
is such that the SQL is no longer valid.  (Perhaps one of the
tables mentioned in a SELECT statement was dropped.) What
error code should sqlite3_step() return in that case?

--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>